Published: October, 2019
We know applying for a mortgage can seem like a big challenge, but we'll do everything possible to guide you through the process.
Sure, there's a long list of steps to complete before you can get your loan. But never fear. At Ameris Bank, we've been helping people apply for mortgages for years. We'll stay in close touch and let you know exactly what you need to do. Before you know it, the finish line will be in sight.
Begin Your Application
At Ameris Bank, we strive to make the application process as convenient as possible for you. There are a variety of ways to apply:
- Apply Now to access the online application. Once the application is submitted, we will be in touch with more details regarding your loan.
- Call one of our Mortgage Bankers to discuss the process, walk you through the steps and aid you in completing the application.
- Visit us at one of our locations, to meet with a banker to walk you step-by-step through completing the application.
Provide Supporting Documents
Once your application has been completed, you will be given a few disclosure documents to review, sign, and return.
Your Mortgage Banker is required, under federal law, to provide you with a loan estimate disclosing all of their fees within three days of submitting your loan application. This estimate will fully disclose, in writing, the terms and conditions of the mortgage, including the Annual Percentage Rate (APR) and other charges.
You have 10 days to review this document and decide if you wish to accept our offer. You will then be asked to submit any additional documentation that is necessary in order to process your loan.
Gather Essential Documents
There are many documents needed when completing the loan application. All will be gathered by the Loan Processor during processing. To make the loan process as quick as possible, already have the documentation on hand.
- Copy of your current driver’s license
- Copy of your Social Security card
- If non-resident, a copy of Certificate of Resident Alien Status (Green Card)
- Most recent income documentation for all parties – covering 30 days (Social Security, retirement, current job income, etc.)
- Most recent two months of bank statements (all pages)
- Most recent 401(k), IRA, or other retirement account statements
- Documentation of any other income
- Completed tax returns from the last two years (signed)
- W2s from last two years (signed)
- If self-employed, year-to-date profit and loss statement prepared by accountant and/or corporate/partnership tax returns
- Partnership agreement
- Copy of bankruptcy proceedings with status and explanation
- Explanation letter for any late payments, judgments, liens, bankruptcy or foreclosure
- Gift letter or explanation of source of funds for closing costs
Current Property Information
- Copy of your homeowner’s insurance and flood policy on all property owned
- Copy of your most recent property tax bill and the due date on all property owned
- Most recent mortgage statement on all property owned
- Closing statements from sale of current property owned
- Name and address of current landlord with cancelled rent checks for the past year
Purchase Property Information
- Copy of fully executed Sales Contract (If construction loan, a copy of plans and specifications)
- Legal description from survey, deed, or title work
VA Loan Information
- Copy of your DD214
Review and Verification
Once all the necessary documentation has been submitted, Ameris Bank officials will review and verify all the documents. An appraisal will also be completed to check the current market value of the home.
At this point in the lending process, our representatives will determine if you are approved for the loan or denied. Sometimes, a loan is neither approved nor denied, but instead the borrower is provided with a list of requirements that will need to be satisfied before the loan can be approved. These are called Conditions of Approval.